Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to popular questions that people have about CAMO, its Group of Companies and general questions about the hemp industry how it affects you. Our extensive FAQs page contains a long list of questions and answers that we are asked by people interested in CAMO and hemp production. However, if you do not see a question that we have listed, please fill out the list below to help CAMO better understand your question. We would be more than happy to supply you with an answer to your question within a timely fashion.

[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: What is industrial hemp? ” clr=”#777777″]A: Industrial hemp is a versatile plant that has been used for thousands of years as a source of fiber and food. While grown commercially in the United States until after World War II, industrial hemp became regulated along with marijuana and its cultivation was prohibited.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: What is the difference between industrial hemp and marijuana? ” clr=”#777777″]A: Industrial hemp and marijuana are different varieties of the same species of plant, Cannabis sativa. Marijuana is cultivated because of its production of the psychoactive plant chemical delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC Industrial hemp is cultivated for fiber, seed and other purposes, and federal and state law requires that the concentration of THC must be less than 0.3% in industrial hemp.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: Why is Pennsylvania allowing growth of industrial hemp now? ” clr=”#777777″]A: In section 7606 of the Agricultural Act of 2014 (Farm Bill), the federal government opened the door to limited legal growth of industrial hemp as part of agricultural research pilot programs. The Pennsylvania General Assembly passed an Industrial Hemp research law, (3 Pa.C.S.A 701-710) (Act 92) to explore the potential for economic growth that this “new” crop could bring to the commonwealth.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: What is the difference between the hemp program and medical marijuana program? ” clr=”#777777″]A: The two programs are separate and authorized by different Acts and Departments. Industrial hemp contains virtually no THC (less than 0.3%). Both plants do contain levels of other compounds of interest, for example cannabidiols (CBDs). The Medical Marijuana Act requires all the cannabis for medical use to be grown at a permitted growing/processing facility and the products to be tested before being sold in order to meet specific requirements for purity and standardized chemical concentrations. No marketing research may involve the sale or distribution of any CBDcontaining substances to a PA-permitted medical marijuana grower/processor or a PA-permitted medical marijuana dispensary.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: What are some of the uses of industrial hemp? ” clr=”#777777″]A: There are reportedly more than 25,000 uses for industrial hemp. Part of the need for pilot programs is to determine what the most appropriate uses are for Pennsylvania in terms of growth, production and marketing.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: Who can legally grow hemp in Pennsylvania? ” clr=”#777777″]A: Industrial hemp may be grown or cultivated in Pennsylvania for research conducted under an agricultural pilot program established by PDA. Research permits can be obtained by institutions of higher education or by persons contracting directly with PDA. In 2018, industrial hemp may not be grown in PA for general commercial activity, only as part of a research project.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: Has hemp been planted in Pennsylvania? ” clr=”#777777″]A: During the 2017 season, 14 permit holders planted and grew slightly more than 36 acres of Industrial hemp. This was the first planting of hemp in the commonwealth in approximately 80 years. PDA will accept additional applications for the 2018 growing season. PDA has received federal approval to facilitate importation of hemp seeds from other countries for approved research projects.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: How can I apply to grow hemp in Pennsylvania? ” clr=”#777777″]A: Interested researchers should carefully review the parameters for permit approval and fill out
the 2018 Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program permit application, which is found on the PDA
website at Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture’s Site.
The deadline for application submission is January 19, 2018.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: Will there be fees for the participants of the project? ” clr=”#777777″]A: Yes. No funds have been allocated to PDA to support research projects, so participants will be responsible for funding all research project expenses. PDA has established fees to cover the costs of administering the program, including obtaining a permit, covering onsite research field and facility inspections, sampling and necessary laboratory testing of the crop as required by the permit. Additionally, other agencies may charge fees for their services (FBI criminal history background checks, the cost of other required permits from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency, Customs & Border Patrol, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture).[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: Is the application fee refundable?” clr=”#777777″]A: No. The law enabling industrial hemp research in Pennsylvania gave the Department of Agriculture the right to establish fees to cover the costs of administering the program. The use of these “user fees” is restricted to covering the costs incurred by the agency to administer the program.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: How many research projects will be approved for 2018?” clr=”#777777″]A: A maximum of 50 projects will be selected for the 2018 growing season. PDA will select the successful projects based on a complete program application and a determination of the merit of the research described.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: How many acres will be approved for each project? ” clr=”#777777″]A: Growers who contract directly with PDA to conduct their research projects will be permitted a maximum research plot of 100 acres in size, or smaller plots with a combined area not to exceed 100 acres. Growers also may contract with an institution of higher education to grow hemp in any amount needed as part of their PDA permitted research project.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q. I had a permit to conduct research in 2017. Do I need to renew my permit?” clr=”#777777″]A. Yes. Last year’s growers will need to complete the renewal application and pay the appropriate fees. Renewals only apply to the continuation of an existing project from 2017. If the focus of the project is different from the approved 2017 permit, a new application and fees are required.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: How can a participant obtain industrial hemp seed? ” clr=”#777777″]A: Hemp seed may be obtained from other countries under a DEA import registration and permit. PDA has been granted a general DEA import registration, and an institution of higher education may also qualify and obtain an independent DEA Registration. Persons who have received an Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program Permit from PDA would then work to purchase seed from their seed supplier for import under DEA Permits linked to the PDA import registration. No seeds will be permitted to be purchased or acquired from a PA-permitted medical marijuana grower/processor or a PA-permitted medical marijuana dispensary.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: Can I sell the hemp from my project? Outside of the Commonwealth?” clr=”#777777″]A: Products produced from hemp grown in Pennsylvania may be sold as part of approved marketing research. In their permit applications, program participants must describe what will happen to the plants and seeds at harvest. PDA will issue permits to move plant material or seeds for processing within the commonwealth. Due to federal regulations, raw or unprocessed hemp plants or plant parts are not permitted to move across state lines. Once processed, most materials can move freely within and outside of the commonwealth. All products or substances distributed or sold must meet all state and federal laws, and regulations that are applicable to the commodity.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: What products/uses of industrial hemp will be permitted in PA? ” clr=”#777777″]A: Industrial hemp products are regulated by several different federal and state mandates, which can be confusing. It is the responsibility of the research participant to ensure any products or substances derived from industrial hemp research projects meet the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: Can Industrial hemp be sold/commercially distributed as animal feed?” clr=”#777777″]A. Not at this time. Before any ingredient can be sold or distributed as part of animal feed, the ingredient must be Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by FDA and/or listed as a “recognized feed ingredient” by the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). As part of the approval process, testing is currently being conducted to ensure the safety and nutritional value of hemp. Growers are advised that any research project that involves feeding hemp products to their own animals may result in regulatory restrictions in the sale of products (meat, milk, eggs, etc.) from these animals.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: What about cannabinoids, like CBD? ” clr=”#777777″]A: Cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol (CBD), are a group of chemicals concentrated in the female flower of the cannabis plant. While they are chemically similar to THC, they do not have the psychoactive effects of THC. In a change from 2017 pilot program, PDA will permit research on industrial hemp growth, cultivation, and marketing relevant to extraction or production of CBD compounds or substances that contain them. However, it will be the permit holder’s responsibility to ensure that any CBD extraction or the production of CBD-containing substances complies with all laws and regulations, including any distribution to be conducted as part of marketing research.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: What happens if the industrial hemp grown tests higher than the 0.3 % permitted for THC content? ” clr=”#777777″]A: By definition, the plants are no longer industrial hemp. Crop destruction and possibly criminal sanctions could result.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]
[accordion_father][accordion_son title=”Q: This program seems very different from what I see happening in other states – why is that? ” clr=”#777777″]A: By definition, the plants are no longer industrial hemp. Crop destruction and possibly criminal sanctions could result.[/accordion_son][/accordion_father]